The composition and properties of these two fruits are very similar. Vitamin C and organic acids are found in a less proportions in tangerines than in oranges.
Tangerine is less acidic and it is easy to eat making it a good choice for the elderly and children. Its delicate aroma is very pleasant and is therefore preferred to oranges by many.
It is therefore important to note that though tangerines are sometimes more intense in color than oranges its nutritional value is slightly less than that of orange.
Professor Stepp a world-known scientist acknowledged that a natural orange is better than any pharmaceutical preparation as a source of vitamin C.
It is also now known that oranges contain about 170 phytochemicals that potentiate and complement the action of this vitamin in the body. When you enjoy eating that juicy orange its health effects are enhanced.
Some properties of an orange
- Sugars: It is present in moderate amounts and is easily assimilated by the body and is tolerated by diabetics in moderate amounts.
- Minerals: Oranges contain good amounts of calcium and potassium it also contains iron and magnesium.
- Vitamins: In addition to vitamin C oranges have carotenoids (pro-vitamin A) that gives it the orange color. It also has Vitamin B1 and B2.
- Folic acid: This is a very essential nutrient required by pregnant mothers for proper development of fetal nervous system. It is also a very powerful antioxidant that enhances proper function of white blood cells therefore improving immunity.
- Fiber: This is found in the orange itself and not the juice. This fiber (pectin) improves digestion and it aids in keeping cholesterol levels in check
- Citric acid: Citric acids avails vitamin C to the body it also facilitates the elimination of toxic waste from the body. Uric acid is one of those toxins eliminated by citric acid. Regular consumption of oranges is beneficial for those suffering the pain of gout.
- Carotenoids: The orange has 20 different types of carotenoids that are formed into vitamin A in the body. They are powerful antioxidants that protect the cells from oxidation.
- Phytochemicals: These are substances found in very small quantities but play very important role in the body. There are two of these chemicals which stand out in an orange
- Flavonoids: This chemical reduces inflammation (anti-inflammatory) and fights cancer cells (anticarcinogenic). It also improves blood circulation.
- Limonoids: This is the chemical that gives the orange its aroma. This chemical may help to prevent formation of tumors. These chemical also potentiate or avail the vitamins in the orange to the body that’s why vitamins from natural sources are more effective than the chemically processed ones.
Regular consumption of oranges will help your body to:
- Increase disease- fighting capacity of the white blood cells
- Slow development of viruses within the cells
- Increase the number and longevity of white blood cells
- Increase production of interferon, an antiviral protein.
- Reduce formation of platelets and improves blood circulation
- Reduce blood cholesterol and lower blood pressure.
- Lower risk of arteriosclerosis, arterial blood clots and heart diseases.
- Fight constipation due to its laxative effect. Fiber gives peristaltic action to the intestines.
- Reduces allergy effect and reaction such as rhinitis and bronchial asthma.
- Oranges are rich in minerals and citric acid improves calcium absorption in the intestines
- Improves the growth and maintenance of bones teeth and cartilage.
- Eliminate excess uric acid (gout) It may also help to dissolve kidney stones
- Alkalizes blood
- Prevent muscular degeneration that causes blindness in people over 45 years of age.
- Fight cancer cells.
For one to benefit fully from the dietetic and therapeutic properties of an orange daily consumption of up to 4 oranges a day is advisable.
Juicing will not provide you with all the nutrients that bring out the therapeutic effects of an orange.
All substances in an orange potentiate one another to give that much needed prophylactic effect.
For those who would like to for orange treatment for the conditions mentioned earlier, check with your nutritionist to advise you on how to go about it.
You have a query?